Even though some of you might think that the winter melon is a fruit, it is actually a very incredible looking green veggie. It is something that can do marvels for your skin, so this is why today we have chosen to focus on its benefits. We decided to provide you with a list of nutrients and what they can do for your body so keep on reading and enjoy!
1. It is able to boost your vision – there has been a significant amount of research which has been linked to vision problems with a deficiency in riboflavin, more commonly known as Vitamin B2. The winter melon also has very high levels of Vitamin B2, almost more than 11% of your daily requirement in just one single serving. By increasing the amount of Vitamin B2 within your body, you can reduce your chances of any eye disorders, while the antioxidants which are found in the winter melon can help to reduce the oxidative stress in the retina and well as protect you from macular degeneration.
2. Protect the health of your heart – with the high levels of potassium and Vitamin C, the winter melon is probably one of the best protectors of your overall cardiovascular health. The potassium functions as a vasodilator, meaning that it is able to help you lower your blood pressure by releasing the tension buildup in the blood vessels and the arteries, letting for the blood to flow more freely. This makes it more difficult for you to develop atheroslcerosis, which can create some heart issues and increase your risk of a coronary heart disease. In addition to this, the Vitamin C has been directly linked to providing you with reduced chances of a stroke.
3. Boost your immunity with it – containing more than 19% of your daily Vitamin C requirements in just one single serving, the winter melon is a powerful immune system booster. The Vitamin C can stimulate the production of white blood cellsas well as act as an antioxidant to neutralize the free radicals and prevent the mutation of all the healthy cells within the body. What the winter melon can provide you with is that it will also provide you with a boost of a decent amount in zinc, which is another critical component to your immune system health.
4. Will stimulate the growth and development – most of the people only think of the Vitamin C as an immune system booster, when actually the Vitamin C performs a number of key functions in the body. One of the most important ones is that it is a component in the production of collagen, which is one of the basic building blocks of all of your cells, tissues, muscles, bones and blood vessels. If you are still in the developmental stages of your life or simply recovering from an injury or an illness, you will definitely want high levels of Vitamin C to provide raw materials for growth and repair of the body. The winter melon delivers that Vitamin C to your entire body!
5. Will aid your digestion – the dietary fiber is an important part of every healthy dieting plan, as it is able to optimize the digestion and prevent many unfortunate gastrointestinal issues among which is the constipation, bloating, cramping, hemorrhoids and a generally upset stomach. The dietary fiber can also improve the nutrient intake efficiency of the gut, along with reducing the bad cholesterol levels within the cardiovascular system!
6. Increase your levels of energy – taking in the right nutrients is one thing, but being able to properly use them is another. The Vitamin B2 plays a very important part in the human metabolism, ensuring that the nutrients are converted into what we call usable energy. Along with the many other impacts on the hormonal balance and health, the high level of Vitamin B2 found in the winter melon keeps us functioning and help us use the nutrients in an efficient way!
7. Can improve your cognitive function – the significantly high level of iron found in the winter melon makes it an ideal solution for increasing the circulation to the extremities of the body. The iron is a key component in the production of red blood cells, so when you have more iron, you have better circulation of fresh as well as healthy and oxygenated blood. This means that the winter melon can not only protect you from the symptoms of anemia, but can also ensure a proper blood flow to the brain, which can increase concentration, focus and memory.
8. Detox your body with it – in the traditional medicine, the winter melon is often used as a diuretic, which can help to detoxify the body. The process of urination eliminates the excess toxins, fats, salts and water from the body, so any vegetable that can induce that detoxification will help your liver and kidney perform at an optimal level.
9. Help your weight loss process – the winter melon is often praised as a weight loss tool, because it is high in fiber and relatively low in calories. This popular vegetable will definitely make you feel fuller, thus reducing the snacking between meals and overeating, without pushing your calorie intake for the day over some certain limits. The rich blend of vitamin and minerals can also promote a muscle growth and a stronger metabolism, thereby compounding the weight loss effects.
10. It can prevent migraines – this is another health benefit of the winter melon that you probably could not guess for yourselves. Believe it or not, all of the healthy compounds which are found in this amazing veggie, when combined together, can help reduce the duration of your migraines and help you think with a clearer mind. The winter melon can also improve your memory as well as your focus.
Did we help you make up your mind about consuming the winter melon on a more regular basis? Well, we actually just provided you with information and let you choose for yourself. We believe that we are going to help you create a healthier version of yourself, and the winter melon is something that can definitely help you with that, so, the next time you are in the store, go to the vegetable isle and buy yourself a winter melon. Satify the needs of your body and prepare yourself for the ultimate health boost!