You have probably already met with the distinct taste of the horseradish, and its ability to clear your sinuses when you are really in need of it. The spicy heat that all of us experience from the root of the horseradish is released only when it is crushed or ground up. On the other hand, while the plant is still alive, it helps clearing the pests out.
However, there is much more to this root than its powerful taste. It can be used for improving various health conditions, and this is why we are here. Today we will reveal to you the less known health benefits from the horseradish, and here they are.
1. The horseradish will boost your entire immune system. This is a root that contains high amounts of Vitamin C and acts as a powerful antioxidant. It is able to treat viral infections and boost your immunity. The horseradish will prevent infection as well as inflammation by removing the free radicals from the body, thus minimizing the damage they could do. This is why, consuming horseradish on a regular basis will boost your immune system by heating it up from the inside.
2. The horseradish is able to lower the risk of cancer. It has been associated with a significantly lowered risk of several different types of cancer, including lung cancer and colorectal cancer. The root of the horseradish contains compounds that are able to help detox your body from carcinogens, as well as suppress the growth of new cancer cells and tumors of course. Also, the horseradish is able to induce all of the cancer protective genes within the body.
3. Do you need a little help in the weight loss process? The horseradish is extremely low in calories, and has no fat at all, so this means it is excellent if you are planning to go on a detox meal. The horseradish contains plenty of enzymes which prevent the build up of the toxins in the body and accellerate the process of elimination of all the bacteria from the body, making it a perfect addition to your weight loss dieting plan.
4. Are you in need of lowering your blood pressure? Stay here and find out how can the horseradish help you with it. The potassium, which is a big part of this root, regulates the tension in the blood vessels. This is why, when potassium deficient, your risks of higher blood pressure are elevated, meaning a higher risk of cardiovascular diseases, heart attacks, strokes and atherosclerosis. This is why, by consuming horseradish which is an excellent source of potassium, you will improve the health of your heart and will lower your levels of blood pressure.
5. When it comes to the health of the bones, the horseradish is here to assist you maintain it. Really! This is a root that is packed with calcium, which as we all know is an essential part of maintaining the optimal health of the bones. Furthermore, it can even do wonders for your teeth. The horseradish, when chewed, can be helpful in treating paradontosis. Chewing this incredible root will act as a natural medicine if you want to treat a toothache or even give some strength to your gums. If the horseradish tastes a bit too spicy for you, mix it with some grated carrot and you are good to go.
6. Believe it or not, the horseradish is even able to improve your digestion. The horseradish contains extremely large amounts of phytochemicals that stimulate all of the gastric glands, intestinal glands and salivary glands. By consuming juice that is made out of horseradish you will enable your body to increase the production of digestive enzymes, which ultimately will lead to an improved digestive tract.
7. If you are pregnant, the horseradish will come to your assistance. The high levels of folate which are found in the horseradish are able to protect the mother and infant from any pregnancy issues. It will further assist to the proper development of the fetus, thus eliminating the effects of neutral tube. But, the horseradish, if not consumed properly, can be harmful to pregnant women, so this is why you need to be seriously careful with the intake.
8. Increase your metabolism with the horseradish. Do you have any idea how packed with nutrients this root is? When it comes to the nutritional value of the root, it is a great source of Vitamin C, phytonutrients, sodium, iron, antioxidants, zinc, magnesium, manganese, potassium, Vitamin A, B complex vitamins, copper, protein fiber and calcium. You will really hit the motherload with this one, so make it a daily dietary choice.
9. If you want to fight off any infections, the horseradish is the way to go. This is because this root contains antibiotic as well as antibacterial properties. Consuming this root has been proven to ward off any infections, bacteria, and even fungi away from your body. The horseradish has been especially proven to be effective in getting rid of all the bacteria in the body that are the cause of bronchitis. Also, it will help you flush out the compounds which are able to cause inflammation, and prevent the further accumulation of toxins.
10. Finally, the horseradish has been proven to have diuretic properties. How come, you ask? Well, the horseradish contains diuretic quality that first of all, improves the urination process. Also, a recent study has shown that the the horseradish has a remarkably well effect on treating the chronic urinary tract infections. Because of its antibiotic properties, it is able to kill off any bacteria that is causing those recurring infections. It has even been recommended (in combination with prescription drugs) by the German health commission.
Giving the fact that the horseradish can be excellent for your health, there is not a reason in the world why you should not consume it. But, a little caution before we finish, the horseradish, if not taken in moderacy, can cause a bit of trouble to your body, so when consuming it, be very careful about it. Enjoy!